Oppenheimer and My Confession

Oppenheimer and My Confession

Yet again, Nolan has delivered a masterpiece. Oppenheimer, a cinematic marvel nominated for thirteen Oscars and the winner of 7 has shown the world (or me, at least) how impactful cinema can be. The portrayal of harrowing scientific advancement, entangled in human dilemmas, relationships, emotions, and the horrifying consequences in the movie was surreal. Delving deep into the complexities of the human psyche amidst the backdrop of one of the most pivotal moments in history, Nolan's masterful portrayal of every major character in the film breathes life into their lives and the moral dilemmas and ethical struggles they faced, none more so than the titular character, J. Robert Oppenheimer.

From the inception of the atomic bomb to its devastating deployment over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the film meticulously navigates the geopolitical landscape of the World War II and Oppenheimer's inner turmoil. As the architect of this unparalleled destruction, Oppenheimer grapples with the weight of his creation, torn between the pursuit of scientific advancement, protecting national interests, and the catastrophic consequences of his work.

I, for weeks, found myself deliberately avoiding watching this movie, citing to my own self a lack of time and pressing obligations. Yet, deep down, I knew the true reason for my reluctance – the visceral fear of confronting the harrowing realities depicted in the film. The thought of witnessing humanity's capacity for self-annihilation weighed heavily on my mind, and I hesitated to subject myself to such emotional turmoil.

However, as I finally forced myself to watch the film and unsurprisingly, I was confronted with the stark horror of the atomic bomb's aftermath. The unflinching portrayal of the devastation inflicted upon Japan evoked a profound sense of sorrow and despair. The horrifying details of the casualties, surviving victims, their agonizing injuries, and the unfathomable suffering they endured served as a poignant reminder of the human cost of war and the indiscriminate brutality of nuclear weapons.

As the credits rolled, I was left grappling with a profound sense of loss and introspection. I asked myself, "What if a bomb was dropped on my city right now? How would I want to die?" Then my thoughts wandered into the "What If" realm and I asked myself, "What if such inventions had never come to fruition? How different would our world be without the specter of nuclear annihilation looming over us?"

Oppenheimer forces us to confront these unsettling questions, challenging us to reckon with the consequences of our actions and the fragility of our existence. The movie serves as a humbling reminder of the power and peril of human ingenuity. Through its evocative portrayal of historical events and moral quandaries, the film leaves an indelible mark on the psyche, urging us to confront the darkest aspects of our nature and strive for a future free from the horrors of war and nuclear proliferation.

In the end, I would say that the movie had me torn between marvelling the power of science, storytelling and emotional conundrums, and the horrors and unfathomable travesty that befell the innocent victims of wars. I cannot definitively say if the movie was immersively grappling as far as the cinematics go or it was a  mistake to watch it.



Comments